Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fermember When. Close Call.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Yesterday we had a close call. One of those experiences that shakes you so much that you have to grab the counter to steady yourself when you start to re-live it. We were at a friend's house and there was a wonderful group of moms and kids there to swim. My 6 yr. old can now swim well with supervision, but my 3 yr. old is far from safe around a pool. We had been swimming for awhile and my 3 yr. old wanted a cookie so I said, "Okay, let's be done swimming and dry off and take off your swim vest so you can eat." Well, we did just that and he went inside to play with his friends. He then came out and was riding a scooter around the pool. I told him to stop because I had to use the bathroom, but my friend said she would watch him, and she did and when I came back he was fine. I thought I saw him go back in the house to play and another mom started asking me some questions so I stood to talk to her....with my back to the pool. At this point my 6 yr. old was sitting out of the pool having his snack so I didn't think to be watching the pool....
There were about 6 adults all around the pool, sounds safe, right?? Nope. Unless you know you are supposed to be watching a child, it is easy to get distracted. All of a sudden my precious 3yr. old boy came walking toward me soaking wet, scared and crying. I was so confused. Someone said, "I think he went under," but no one really knew what happened. All I kept saying was, "you're okay, you're alive," YIKES...that was my comfort at that moment. I was just so relieved in the moment that I didn't even realize how close this was.
Turns out that he saw 2 little boys in the hot tub and decided to get back in without telling me and without his life vest on. He slipped under and somehow reached up and grabbed the edge and pulled himself out. Nobody heard or saw a thing. This is what he told me that night while sitting in bed reading a bedtime story.
Drowning is so quiet and can happen so easily. Today I had to steady myself many times when I thought of what was happening while my back was turned. My little boy was quietly slipping under the water with no one standing by to help him. I think the swimming lessons he has been taking helped him to know to grab the edge. But had that pool been deeper he would not have had a chance and how long would it have taken anyone to see him??
I have been sharing this story with everyone as a reminder. I am a responsible parent. I am always concerned with safety, some even think to a fault. I had been swimming and watching my kids for over an hour. All it takes is a split second. As I type this he is kissing my shoulder and all I keep thinking is how lucky I am to feel his kiss today.
So, PLEASE, this holiday weekend....if you are around water make sure to communicate with another grown up as to who is watching the kids near the water. If you go to get some food make sure someone else knows they are watching the kids and when you come back make sure you check back in to see who is watching. Remind your children that they are never allowed to get in the water without telling you first!!! It was a close call and a good reminder and I hope it helps others!!
Have a fun and safe holiday weekend.
xoxo-H

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God he is fine. Water and little ones is so scary. We go to a friends house all the time to swim. It is not one bit relaxing for me. I am always either holding or having an eye on the little guy at all times. It does just take one second or lapse to have an accident. My friends are all "oh, it is so relaxing to go to the pool". Not for me-at least not for the next few years!! Not one bit of relaxing-unless we leave the kids home!!

Eastiopians said...

You are so right that it can happen so easily, even for diligent parents like yourself. I am so paranoid around water that I almost can't stand to go to pool parties b/c all I do is stand near the water and check on the kids and I don't get a chance to chat with the adults. Don't get me wrong, I keep my cool, but I just can't keep my eyes off of the water and the kids to enjoy myself. I agree that designating an adult and switching out to give each other breaks would be SO helpful!

kn said...

I am so so happy to hear this was nothing more than a close call. Thank you so much for posting it.

I personally cannot let anyone else watch my child. I take him out of the pool when I get out. That way I know, no one is going to turn around and grab a towel or answer a question or do whatever. It does happen in an instant and as you say, completely silently.

This is such an important story to share.

Anonymous said...

Swimming pools are scary. Dori is starting to swim and thinks she does not need her vest. I have to extra careful especially when lots of people are around. I am so glad your little guy is OK. Thank you for the reminder.