(oh chocolate, how I hate to love you)
So here is the Friday re-cap:
What I have done well with my February challenges (see previous post):
1. I have not purchased even 1 piece of clothing for this family. I am so determined to succeed with this challenge that when we showed up at Target and I took Baby Girl out of her carseat and noticed that she had peed a little through her diaper and her pants were wet and I didn't have a dry pair in my bag (still with me?).....I did not buy a new pair of pants at Target, oh no I did not. Now I also did not win the "Mother of the Year" award for making her wear her pee pants while I did my shopping at Target, but hey, I stuck to my guns (what does "I stuck to my guns" mean really?)....whatever, woo hoo, I'm awesome!!!!
2. I have made a lot of changes to my eating....I have greatly reduced carbs, dairy, bad fat and sugar and all of those changes do make me feel better.
3. I am having a little raw honey in my coffee instead of sugar and I like it. Today I even had a cup of black coffee, nothing added and I kind of liked that too....hmmm.
Still Working On:
1. Damn You Chocolate!!! I have some Hershey Kisses in the house and unfortunately they know my name, and, well, they call to me. So, they need to go (in my mouth) in the garbage!!
2. There is a lot of hidden sugar and some obvious sugar that I just don't pay attention to. I had the all time best salad at Panera....Fuji Apple...SO good. When I was done I realized that it is very sweet :( I'm guessing there is a lot of sugar in the dressing.
3. Really ticked that I am having a hard time eating raw veggies. I LOVE salads, but they don't seem to love me right now so I might have to stick to cooked veggies and I have to admit I'm a little down tonight about all the things I can't eat.
Supplements:
I started taking Vitamin D. I also added Triphila, which is like a fiber pill that is supposed to be gentle, but let's just say it's not that gentle, so I need to adjust that. I take a liquid Iron and a Probiotic. With all that I should be a pillar of digestive health....nope :(
What do you take for supplements?
So, I'm a little down (I know I already mentioned that so I think "a little" really means "a lot"). I really wish I could go back to eating pizza, pasta, fried calamari, chips and salsa, ice cream, cookies, cake....the list goes on and on so I'm just going to stop there....you get what I mean.
I'm just going to go back to thinking this is temporary (even though it probably isn't) until I heal.
Hey-"My" Packers are in the Superbowl this weekend, so even though I will have to eat grilled zucchini instead of Fried Cheesecurds.......GO PACK!!!!!!!


4 comments:
important to tell you! I don't know your MEDICAL background, so if you have Diabetes or if your Doc has put you on a special diat, that is a different story. But if not, DO NOT CUT THINGS OUT OF YOUR DIET! Please, PLEASE read "Intuitive Eating". These doctors know what they are talking about. Cutting food out, having "good" and "bad" foods, depriving yourself of what you WANT to eat is not only a depressing way to live, it also will NOT bennifit you in the end.
Okay, this sounded so harsh! I am sorry. I just wanted to start crying when I read your post. If you have to cut out certain foods for medical reasons, then I am going to keep crying and at least my tears will be for a real reason! If you are doing this to yourself, please stop! Read the book and BELIEVE that your body is made to work perfectly! It knows what to do when you eat, no matter what food! Unless you have a medical condition where you are allergic to wheat, or you have to be careful of your blood sugars, etc., just ASK yourself, "Why should I not be eating chocolate?" There is NO reason! It is high in sugar so it gives you energy. Why should you NOT eat pizza? No reason! It has bread which is a complex carb and gives you energy over time. It has pizza sauce which is made of vegitables which are PACKED with vitamins your body NEEDS! It has cheese which is a fat, and you HAVE to have fat in your diet. There may be meat that will give you iron and protien. See? There is no reason in the world not to eat pizza! (Unless a doctor has advised you otherwise.)
I have been following your blog for a LOOOONG time now. I don't "know" you, but I do care about you! I want you to feel FREE with food! You should cosume it, it should not consume you! If you are making rules and lists of good and bad foods, it is going to take over your life!
I found a ton of sugar in stuff when I started reading labels. Even at Whole Foods, although they have an infinitely better selection of stuff.
I think the previous commenter has a good point, but so much of what we have available to us to eat is crap, crappy sugar added, crappy chemicals added. It does matter if you eat sweets that have fake sugar made from corn in it. It's hard to eat intuitively when corn syrup and other crappy stuff tricks our bodies and minds so we don't know what we need to eat.
I ate what I wanted on vacation and now am going back to essentially no sugar, dairy, caffeine or alcohol. And back to pretty much everything organic and not processed. I wanted to eat well on vacation and I didn't eat shitty stuff, but it's hard to control when so much is eating out. And I do feel the difference - I do better without sugar and all the other stuff. The thing I like the best is that I am more even keeled - calmer and more patient with the kids.
Oh you devil Chocolate I love you so too!! I feel your pain on that one.
A few quick thoughts from a health-obsessed nut...
It's hard to give up what you love. I think there are some ways around it so you don't feel deprived... For example, instead of Hersheys, consider getting some cocao nibs... it's dark chocolate without all the sugar and processing.
With pizza, can you get a gluten/wheat-free crust and make something with fresh sauce and veggies? You might try raw aged cheese... I'm lactose intolerant but when I have raw dairy I have none of the problems. (If you can't have dairy at all, you can always reintroduce it later and use raw.)
A doctor of Chinese medicine I know says raw veggies, while healthy, are hard to digest so especially for people with digestive issues, they should be lightly steamed, roasted or boiled. Even sauteed.
I myself currently take Vitamin D3, a probiotic, folic acid, and various superfood supplements. I also use raw, organic coconut oil during the winter.
Congrats on making all the progress you did!! It can take a while for the body to balance and heal itself, but it will. In the mean time, keep researching healthy but yummy things you CAN eat, and enjoy them.
Post a Comment