This evening my husband, 5 yr. old and I were driving to pick up little brother from preschool and our 5 yr olds says, "If you guys were different colors would you still get married?"
My jaw dropped, mainly from excitement. Wow, I couldn't believe that a 5 yr. old would ask such an insightful question and I was so happy that he thought to ask us. So, I had to calm myself down so that it didn't turn into one of those "mom moments" when you actually ruin the moment because you go on and on and on and on and your kid says, "Never mind," because they are just so sick of hearing you talk. Yeah, you know what I mean :)
I sure hope we handled it well. We both told him that it was a great question and that yes we would definitely marry each other if we were different colors because we would still be the same people that loved each other and that it's who you are inside that counts and that all colors are beautiful, and we ended it at that.
Well, almost...my husband said he would like to be green...nice honey!
So, how did we do? What would you have said to a 5 yr. old?


3 comments:
I think that's a great response! Short, sweet, and simple! The truth! I love the allusion to the classic "mom" moment!
And your husband throwing in the green joke...I could actually hear my husband's voice as I read that! I love it!
Mary
Sounds like you handled it very well. I wonder what made him start thinking about it?
Perfect answer.
Post a Comment