Today I could not shake the panic and uncertainty of adopting. It wasn't about whether to adopt or not, so that's good, because I know for sure, deep in my soul that I want to adopt. The uncertainty was, well in the details...What country should we be adopting from (yes, I know we picked Ethiopia, but I also still feel connected to Ghana), is "0" too young, is 24 months too old, will I love her enough, will she love me enough, what if she has special needs, will our families love her, will my boys love her, will my boys be mad at me????? So many questions and no answers... This is "normal" worrying, right adoption blog friends? Well, it got better when I picked my oldest up from pre-school and he showed me the picture he drew:
And? You're asking, well isn't it obvious?? Okay, it wasn't obvious to me at first either so I asked him what is that circle with the long legged back bending person inside and he said, "You know, it's what babies come in, on the ground." "Huh?" I said, in a very sophisticated voice, and he said, "You know, like in the Dumbo movie when the bird brings the baby to the mommy." Yep, this is about when I start crying. See, he knows that babies come from Mommies' tummies(I know what you're thinking, but in our case both boys came out via C-Section so I can say they come out of Mommies' tummies and not get into that VaJJ stuff...Bonus of the awful C-sections! I digress...Back to the picture). Where did this baby being delivered by a bird thought come from? So, yes, I took it as a sign that we are doing exactly what we are "supposed" to be doing and this baby is meant to come into our family...via stork...which is pretty much what a plane from Africa is, right??? Big Brother was so excited when I said, "this is kind of like how our baby from Africa will come to us, right?" and he exclaimed, "Yeah!" with a big proud smile on his face...thank you baby, you are so darn sweet!
So tonight I felt better, especially after these:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Precious!
And I would have a lot more concern about someone who didn't worry, think through, and soul-search as a part of the process.
The first month Medina was home, I was sure I'd ruined Ruby's life forever. I didn't. Ruby now mostly adores her big sis. It works out. It really does. And even when your heart is partly in another country, you still find a child that is perfect for you.
all that questioning is totally normal! :) Its not a small decision and so you want to make the right one!
I tell ya' those discussions about a new sibling with your kids are what make it concrete, at least for me. My oldest is stunning me with his comprehension this time around, his willingness to share his love already with Little Sister.
By the way, I postponed the V discussion for quite some time. He was also a c section, and his little brother came by way of Ethiopia, so he really thought babies came from Ethiopia. Which I didn't bother to explain more:)
Thanks for the insightful post. Yes, I think it is completely part of the process. I even had those same worries about loving two bio kids... I was scared I would love my first more. I am so glad Calem made that sweet sweet pic to put your worries at ease (at least for the time being).
Thank you for your honesty!!!
Very, very normal, I assure you. You're going to be a great mom of 3 (-:
You will love her, and she will love you. LOVE the picture.
If you were pregnant you would be worrying about the effect the new baby would have also. Yes, it's WAY normal to question every little aspect of adding a child to your family! What an awesome picture; he understands a lot in his little boy way!
Yes - all that is totally normal! You will see how most of those worries melt away during those first few days your new one is home. Your kids will love her more than you think is possible for a stranger being brought into 'their' family. I am surprised still how my kids have accepted Esther into their home and their hearts. This 'pain' you are going through now will only make you love her more when she comes! (You are still adopting a girl, right?)
Totally normal worries! Cute pic of you and he. Super cute.
You are a doll face. :)
Cindy
Post a Comment