Yesterday morning, my darling almost 2 year old was up at 5 a.m., which meant I was up at 5 a.m. To say I am not a morning person is an understatement. More like I am a walking, zombie trying to see through squinted eyes as I stumble to the coffee maker and growl at people in my way, not a morning person.
So, I made my way downstairs, plopped my "oh so adorable" 2 year old morning person on the couch, felt my way to the T.V. and turned on Mickey Mouse. I let the dog out, the only chore I'm willing to do before the coffee maker, and locked the sliding glass door behind him. Still trying to avoid the truth that I was awake I shuffled my slippers out the kitchen door to the garage so I could open the side door and let the dog into his bed in the garage. Finally it was time for the fresh roasted (hopefully in Ethiopia:), liquid warmth that would give me the courage I needed to face the day. So, I turn back to the door to go in and...it was LOCKED, and I hear my sweet child that I brought into this world on the other side of the door saying, "mommy?"
Okay, it is 5:15 in the morning. Both my children are inside by themselves and I am LOCKED OUT with no, oh so smart, hidden key. So I try a few, "Honey, turn the button." "Honey, open the door for Mommy." "HONEY, LET ME IN!!!" No such luck. So I walk around the house, with panic and tears creeping up into my throat, and look through the sliding glass door, knock and my little guy turns and see me and starts LAUGHING. I'm thinking, "Oh my, when I get in there I am going to..." But I say, "Honey, go get big brother upstairs and bring him to mommy." And he turns around and starts to head upstairs, "YES" I'm thinking, until he notices Mickey Mouse on the T.V. and sits down to watch it. "No, no, no" I say as I start pounding on the glass, "Go get your brother." No go, ugh. At this point I am trying to figure out what to do. A) Break down the door? Probably not strong enough, will probably dislocate my shoulder. B) Go to the neighbor's house, at 5:15 a.m. and ask to call the police, "Hi. We haven't met because we just moved here. Sorry to wake you at 5:15 in the a.m., it appears that I have locked my children inside the house alone. Oh, did I mention we are adopting another child so please don't call CPS. Thanks." Errg, these are not great choices!
I try one more time to go back to the kitchen door that my, "I am going to ring your little neck", youngest son locked, and coax him back to try again. And...he UNLOCKS IT!!! I was just as shocked when he unlocked it as I was when I discovered it was locked.
I really wish some fly on the wall with a miniature video camera had taped this early morning event because at some point I would like to look back at it and laugh...Not quite there yet...


8 comments:
lol
Funny story! Glad you got back in! Glad you were dressed enough to even have the option of waking the neighbors (I wouldn't have been!). A video would have been hilarious. At least you were able to preserve the memory in this post!
Christina
My husband did this when we'd just moved into the house we're in now. Q was 18 months old, no help at all except to practically give Patrick a heart attack whenever he disappeared from view. He had to break in with the help of a neighbor. And, Q was scared to death.
He did it again a few weeks later, but, of course, he knew what to do.
Wow - panic city!! So glad you didn't have to resort to any of those options. You got a smart little fellow there.
Zoe
LOL!!! I did the exact same thing with Neilan only he was still sound asleep in his CRIB!! Cursing under my breath and close to tears I found some nice workman fixing something next door. They offered to rip the doorknob and lock off the door from the garage to the house for me. After 30 minutes of hammers, crowbars and a mallet off came the knob with lock!! One extremely grateful mommy and a total ruined door later I learned my lesson and hide a key outside. Hey at least I knew the house had great locks!!
I bet you were wide awake by the time he let you in!
Priceless!
Oh my gosh, this is my nightmare come to life except at 30 below zero.
Post a Comment