Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fermember When. Exercise.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Okay....that's it!!  My black pants don't fit.  They used to be tight, but now they don't button. Nothing like the honesty of pants to let you know that you have indeed gained a few (...dozen...) pounds.
I love to exercise once I get going and of'course once it's over.  But I can not get myself to start :( I used to belong to a gym, which I love, but it was one of the first things to go when we needed to save $$ (plus, 1x/month didn't justify it).  
Exercise helps my body, but it REALLY helps my head!!  It reduces my stress and I just feel better all around.  So, I need to hear from you...

How do you fit in exercise with kids, work, house, etc.?  Here are a few things about me that will help guide your suggestions:

1.  I am not a great runner, although I do feel like it is the best way to burn calories for me.
2.  I am not a morning person.
3.  I do not like to work out after 4 p.m.
4.  My best time to work out is mid-morning, but I either have to work or have the kids.
5.  I love to lift weights.
6.  I love Yoga, but don't feel like it burns enough calories.
7.  I do have access to the community work out room and pool.
8.  The community work out room has a treadmill and step machine thing, maybe some weights.
8.  I hate getting in cold water.

Okay, that's enough.  Tell me what you do and suggestions are welcome...Just don't tell me to stop eating cheese...that's just going too far :)

6 comments:

rebekah said...

Yeah, the workout thing is tough.

Keep in mind that if one goal is to lose weight, you have no choice but to lower your calories. Of course you should also work out, to firm up and get stronger and healthier and clear your mind and all that.

I have been training for a marathon now for about 3 months and I am stronger and happier and all that, but have not lost a pound. Not a one. I've been hungrier and so I've eaten more.

I squeeze my workouts in - and sometimes I do it in the morning even though I hate it. Always take advantage of weekends. We don't belong to a gym either, but all I'm doing is ab stuff and yoga and running, so the gym isn't really necessary.

Amber said...

I hear ya... my brother and his model girlfriend (and yes really) are back from college for the summer and they love to workout. I have the 3 kids and a job excuse thing going to. But, truth is when I carve out that 30-45 minutes to help myself through exercise everything in my life seems less stressful and I am definitely happier.
What about bike rides with the kids on the mid morning days. Get a trailer and stick them in it (you can find them on craigslist). The extra weight helps you burn more and the kids get outside which is refreshing... and biking is great for burning calories. And, the mornings you don't have the kids try to squeeze in a swim.
Also, the iphone app's have some great fitness diary type stuff. This has helped me track what I eat and know where my faults are with food (can we say emotional eater). So, now I try to get on the computer into blog world or read a book or magazine instead of eat when I am tense.
Last, but not least don't go to your friend's house... the one that makes the most delicious home made cake (mmmm!!!) and puts out delicious pizza etc... (j/k)

Laura said...

I think you look great! A friends son just started on that HCG and lost like 40 lbs in a month. I think I should fork out the bucks and try it. :)

Anonymous said...

OK. I hear ya! There seems to be no time in the day. However, my mood and stress levels benefit greatly from excercise. I have been reading a blog from a trainor locally and really like his stuff. Check it out. http://dustinmaherfitness.com/
He says running long distance at steady pace will not lose lbs. You need to use weights and burst programs. He describes them. No need for a gym. Just a ball and your own body weight. He is coming out with home vids soon and I am going to get them! We need to start something that tracks our progress than we can guilt each other into working out!! Think of something-goals for the week, etc and we can do them. Thoughts? Just bought the hubby a bike for his bday today and we have a trailor and bike seat for little guy. That will help get my butt moving. Also, there is a dog that needs a home, am I crazy for thinking I need him? He will get me moving as well.

Kat & Stacy said...

I love love love pilates. Mentally feels like yoga (lots of focusing on the breath and being in the moment) but it makes me sweat like aerobics and give me that good sore feeling the next day. Helps with my flexibility AND allows me to get through the day without pain from all my crappy neck problems. Plus I must say, I'm pretty pleased with how my back is looking these days.

I also love the treadmill (I"m a fast hill walker--I hate running). I download podcasts or watch one tivo'd program and walk my way through it--during commercials I increase my speed and incline so I get a burst.

For tracking your progress...Dr Oz has something at http://www.realage.com/personal-goal-setting sign in and then pick your goals...he emails you once a week w/ tips, reminders, etc. There is a place to record your exercise to see if you are doing enough to reach your goal, etc. I've just started it but seems easy and helpful. As for when to exercise...I don't have kids so I can't help much with that one. But I do know they say three 15 minute work outs a day is just as good as an hour work out...so maybe that's better for you.

ps--I'm just answering your questions because you asked... personally I think you look fabulous!

writex3 said...

I answered your post with a post of my own on my blog. Come on over (-: