Thursday, February 25, 2010
Fermember When. Marley.
The house is quiet, the kids and hubby are in bed and I sit here with tears running down my face. I really didn't know how hard this would be. I thought I had cried my tears in the last few days. I thought I was ready to say "good bye". I held it together for my kids and my hubby today, but now that they are asleep I'm crumbling.
We put our pup to sleep today. He was our first baby. We had him for 9 1/2 years and let me tell you, someone spied on us and wrote that book "Marley" because that was our dog to a "T". He ate a whole cornish hen off the counter in 10 seconds flat when our friend turned his back. We would go to sleep and the next morning there would be garbage ALL OVER the house. We really couldn't take him on walks because we would have to run to prevent having our arm pulled out of the socket. He would lean on you to get you to pet him and if you stopped he would nudge you with his head or grab you with his paw to get you to keep going. He had the WORST gas of all time...seriously, the dog could clear a house!!
I have many regrets...the human babies arrived and he got booted to the yard, told to go away and did not get as much attention as he deserved. He was so loyal and such a great protector of our family. Like so many scenarios, we did our best to make it up to him in the last few months when we knew he had a degenerative disorder. He got to come back in. We sat on the floor and petted him for hours. He layed on my feet and literally sat on my lap, all 100 pounds of him.
A few days ago the lights went out in his eyes and I understood what people meant when they said, "you'll know when it's time," and I knew. I think he knew too. My husband came home early today and spent time with him, he cried and Marley gave him 3 big licks up side the face as if to say, "it's okay, don't cry, I'm ready."
He made me a better pet owner. I didn't even know how much I loved him until now. I know i'll be better in the future when we are ready for another dog...he taught me so much.
Bye Buddy and thank you.
May you have all the steak and cornish hens you can eat in Heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



16 comments:
I can't stop crying. We have two dogs and our Lilly is just like your Marley. I will be thinking of you today!
Oh Harmony, gosh gosh gosh. May you all feel as much peace as possible.
I'm so sorry for your loss. We have our first furbaby too and I live each day happy knowing he is still there for me. Hang in there!
Sorry for your loss Harmony. We'll be thinking of your family...
I am now at work bawling... ugh... I am so sorry. I know it was his time but it doesn't make it easy. Were here in case you need anything.
I am so very sorry. About 2 months ago we lost our beloved cat, Cheeky after 16 years and I still find myself crying & missing him. It's true that they let you know when it is time, Marley is at peace now eating steak, cornish hens and probably chasing Cheeky too! I can say from experience that your heart will heal, I hope you and your family find peace soon. hugs.
So sorry.
Oh Harmony, I'm so sorry. We lost our sweet Leo two years ago and it still hurts. (Maybe they are up there together in dog heaven noshing on steaks and planning a garbage can sneak attack.) My thoughts are with you. Hang in there and think of the happy times as much as you can.
I am sitting here teary as you wrote from my heart back in August. It is so hard, grieve as long as you need to...know that all dogs do go to Heaven. I know Peanut is up there eating snausages by the dozen. Hugs to you.
Hi Harmony - I'm really really sorry to read about Marley. The LOVE a pet gives you is so "big" it's hard to describe. I know what a loss you're feeling...I had to put my cat down a couple weeks ago and wrote about it on my blog. She had been with me seventeen years and was a big part of my family. I was completely devastated and cried for days. The day I knew it was time...she too told me with her eye's. I'm crying now just typing you this note. I really hope you feel better soon! Mary Russell
What a great tribute to marley...he would be proud. I'm thinking of you guys...
So sorry Harmony. Marley sounds like he was truly a great one!
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Oh Harmony, I am so very sorry. We went through this a year and a half ago with our beloved lab. We were so broken hearted that we even put the adoption on hold until we felt healed enough to move forward. I remember being just. so. sad. Be very gentle to yourself right now.
:( I am so sorry :(.
Post a Comment