Friday, October 1, 2010

Fermember When. Packing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We do not have our court date yet, but I am already thinking about packing, which is quite odd for me because honestly I always pack the day (or maybe hour) before I leave. So, lay it on me....those who have traveled to Ethiopia, I need your best advice!!! What are you so glad you brought? What do you wish you would have brought? How many outfits do I need? What kind of shoes? What the heck am I going to do on a plane for 16 hours? Please pass on anything you wish someone would have told you ;)

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed that we get our court date next week!!!!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

I just sent you an e-mail! w/ a checklist that is obviously not my own--but very extensive! :)

Julie said...

Things I was SO GLAD that I had with me...
-a head lamp (screw flashlights when you are trying to change diapers in the dark due to power outages)!
-a bag of chocolates (comfort food is a must in times of stress). Don't feel guilty for not sharing.
-the obvious--good walking shoes and a fleece for layering.
-a sleeping pill and an ipod for the plane ride.
-a washcloth--just cause. I used it over and over again for so many reasons.
my own pillowcase--didn't take up much room but helped me sleep so much better.

I could go on and on and on...email me if you want... julie@robertswitmer.com
SO excited for you!!! YEAH!

Sandi said...

I did bring washcloths and toilet paper and wet wipes for hands, not everywhere has water in the bathroom.I wish I had brought paper towels, bagels , peanut butter and ramen noodles, the breakfast at the guesthouse was good but we got really tired of the food at the tds hotel. more snacks for sharing, nutri grain bars or some kind of cereal bar for giving out:) Im sure I'll think of more

Lisa said...

Wow! Packing. That was such a nerve wracking time. I packed and unpacked so many dang times. addis was cooler than I thought so bring appropriate layers for the baby. Bring more baby clothes than you think you need also. I thought I overpacked clothes. Not so much when they bark and diarrhea every few hours :) Bring some pedialyte. They make the small powder form now so it doesn't take up much space. Bring good diapers. THey are expensive there. Also bring good wipes. CAn you tell we had some fun poop experiences? But mostly you can buy anything in Addis anyways so don't worry.

sko3 said...

I second the sleeping pill for the flight there. Especially since you won't get to take one on the final flight home! (I had them but didn't take them for reasons that I can no longer remember. i really wish I had as I was bored and agitated/anxious.I read several books and watched several movies.)

I didn't have any power outages (stayed at a GH with a generator) but found the headlamp to be very handy for walking to the bathroom in the dark and for reading at night.

I brought books that I didn't care about and left them behind. We all sort of swapped books and magazines around.

flip flops for the showers. No matter how private your shower is, I'd still wear flip-flops. Ringworm is just gross.

washcloths to use there and then leave behind (so the yucky ones!)

toilet paper. I bought it from a camping store, so it was small and really handy to have in a pocket, along with hand sanitizer.

Others will be more helpful with the baby stuff than I am (of course, you wont take the baby home this trip, right?)

Unknown said...

Pack comfortable clothes and shoes, first and foremost. Plan to layer -- I'd be too hot one minute and freezing the next. Hand sanitizer, wipes, kleenex. Extra batteries for whatever needs them. CHOCOLATE (you'll need it). And if you're staying at TDS, definitely bring earplugs, it can be really noisy at night.

You really can get most things that you'll need in Addis. But most important, plan to be flexible, patient and to go with the flow. Nothing will turn out how you expect, and that's part of the experience!